[Insight-users] More general version of HConcaveImageFilter?

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 18:32:12 EST 2013

Hi Taylor,

The HConcaveImageFilter is a type of geodesic morphological image
filter — it does not really have the concept of neighbourhood from a
structuring element. The connectivity (4-connectivity, or
8-connectivity aka fully connected) simply defines how the geodesic
distance is computed (e.g. wave front is propagated to 4-neighbours or
8-neighbours). See [1]: "the h-dome [HConvexImageFilter]
transformation extracts light structures **without involving any size
or shape criterion**. The only parameter (h) is related to the height
of these structures." (emphasis added)

Perhaps you are more interested in a top-hat operation, which does
employ a structuring element. See also [2].
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1BlackTopHatImageFilter.html
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1WhiteTopHatImageFilter.html

HTH

Cheers, Dan