[Insight-users] How to set the fixed image region in the registration framework v4 ?

Champ Frédéric champ at unistra.fr
Mon Jan 21 03:58:39 EST 2013

Hi,

I'm working on a slice-by-slice registration method for diffusion MRI.
The method works with the registration framework but the
itk::MattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric (which gives best
results) is not thread safe.

I tried to optimize this method be using the framework v4 but I get some
problems.
To compute a slice-by-slice registration, In the old framework I set the
current slice as the fixed image region at each iteration. In the new
framework, this region is used to create the mask of fixed image set in
the metric (It's the only way I found to specify the image region...)
but it doesn't work and returns the following message:

MattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetricv4(0x7f7eb004b360): *Too many
samples map outside moving image buffer. There are only 4 valid points
out of 471 total points*. The images do not sufficiently overlap. They
need to be initialized to have more overlap before this metric will
work. For instance, you can align the image centers by translation.

However if I don't set any mask the registration works but it registers
the whole volume...
I tried to use the same Image as the fixed and moving one (expecting an
overlap) or to use fixed sample point sets but in both cases I had the
same error message.
Did I missed some step ? Is there any way to specify the fixed region ?

Thanks,

Fred