[Insight-users] Multi threader feedback

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Wed Jul 17 00:17:09 EDT 2013

H Julien,

> I was trying to find a way to know the current thread in ITK (actually I'm
> just interested to know if I'm in the main thread or not).
> Besides ThreadInfoStruct::ThreadID there is no convenient static method to
> retrieve the thread ID. Am I wrong ?
>
> Couldn't something similar to VTK be added:
> vtkMultiThreader::GetCurrentThreadID() ?

The lack of a static method to get the thread ID is a feature ;-).
There is no "main thread" limitation like in VTK or Qt.  ITK can be
used successfully in a multi-threaded context.  For instance, it is
possible to run ITK filters spawned by threads created by OpenMP --
each one of these filters will spawn their own threads.

> p.s. #1: MultiThreader class is missing from classes listing

This is a nagging issue that I have not been able to find out the root
cause of with a few cursory looks -- please let me know if you have an
idea!

> p.s. #2: Group name typo: Singel ->Single

Patch to review:

  http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/11978/

Thanks,
Matt