[Insight-users] Chan-Vese Level Sets in ITK: where to tweak speed term for "deflation"?

Audette, Michel A. maudette at odu.edu
Mon Jun 10 15:44:38 EDT 2013

Dear ITK users,

I'm playing with the Chan-Vese level sets example SingleLevelSetWhitaker; when I use the cells.png image, it seems to work fine: the contour is initialized completely outside of the cell shapes, and the front is inward moving, culminating in a fairly successful segmentation. When I try to substitute some other image, and initializing the model completely outside the structure of interest again, for whatever reason, the contour seems push _outwards_ . The only thing that I've changed is the input image, and the size given to the region class.

What would account for this type of behavior? To be frank, I don't understand where the speed term comes from (the so-called advection term in Malladi and Sethian...), so I don't know how to tweak this term in Chan-Vese .

Thanks for your kind support.

Cheers,

Michel

Michel Audette, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
Department of Modeling, Simulation and Visualization Engineering,
Old Dominion University,
Norfolk, VA.