[Insight-users] Buffer overflow with ITK and GDCM

Marc Ruiz Altisent marc.ruiz+itk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 09:23:50 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to read a DICOM file using ITK and GDCM and I have found a bug
case. The file in question has BitsAllocated = 16, BitsStored = 8,
RescaleSlope = 1.0, and ResceleIntercept = 0.0. With this combination the
ITK-GDCM pipeline produces a buffer overflow because size of the buffer
allocated by ImageFileReader is half of the expected one by GDCM. This
happens because of a combination of factors.

In GDCMImageIO m_ComponentType is set CHAR or UCHAR because
gdcm::Rescaler::ComputeInterceptSlopePixelType() determines that the values
fit in 8 bits. Then, ImageFileReader computes the needed buffer size this
way:

size_t sizeOfActualIORegion = m_ActualIORegion.GetNumberOfPixels() *
(m_ImageIO->GetComponentSize()*m_ImageIO->GetNumberOfComponents());

Here GetComponentSize() returns 1, and thus 1 byte per pixel is allocated
(there is also only 1 component). But then, GDCM needs 2 bytes per pixel,
as returned by gdcm::Bitmap::GetBufferLength(), which takes into account
BitsAllocated independently of other factors.

So, here's the conflict. I'm thinking that maybe m_ComponentType should be
set directly according to BitsAllocated and ignoring rescale, but I don't
really know if that would break other things.

This bug has been found using ITK 3.20.1 and GDCM 2.0.19, but looking at
the code of current versions, the involved code has not changed.