[Insight-users] Why are getBufferAs* methods not available in Java?

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Fri May 3 17:54:32 EDT 2013

Hi Zamir,

I downloaded the latest SimpleITK C# binaries (
SimpleITK-0.6.1.post2-CSharp-win32-x86.zip) and can confirm that the
getBufferAs* methods are missing.

This has revealed a hole in the automated testing.

A number of things need to happen:
1. A (C#) test needs to be added which uses these functions (probably
to Testing/Unit/CSharpImageTest.cs).
2. The cause of the missing functions needs to be identified and fixed.

I've had a quick look at the code and can't work this out — everything
seems in order. There is a C++ test which exercises the methods (so
they exist in C++ world), and SimpleITK.i contains the lines:

#ifndef CSHARP
%ignore itk::simple::Image::GetBufferAsInt8;
%ignore itk::simple::Image::GetBufferAsUInt8;
%ignore itk::simple::Image::GetBufferAsInt16;
%ignore itk::simple::Image::GetBufferAsUInt16;
%ignore itk::simple::Image::GetBufferAsInt32;
%ignore itk::simple::Image::GetBufferAsUInt32;
%ignore itk::simple::Image::GetBufferAsInt64;
%ignore itk::simple::Image::GetBufferAsUInt64;
%ignore itk::simple::Image::GetBufferAsFloat;
%ignore itk::simple::Image::GetBufferAsDouble;
#endif

So I don't understand...

Unfortunately I am flat out at the moment and won't have a chance to
look further for a while. If you want to investigate yourself, we
welcome any contribution!

Thanks for reporting the issue and sorry for the delay in responding.

Regards, Dan