[Insight-users] Intensity histogram

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Tue May 7 08:29:49 EDT 2013

Hello,

ITK proper has a very nice framework for creating new thresholds based on histograms contributed by Richard Beare and Gaetan Lehmann in the Insight Journal[1]. In SimpleITK the ~dozen filters[2] which use this framework are available[3].

It may be reasonable to crate a new ITK histogram calculator and matching threshold filter, then add the new json wrapping to SimpleITK.

So these methods, are a global threshold, not a connected threshold. However, if you run a global threshold followed by a connected component algorithm you can get the same result by choosing a selected component. For large images with large components this can be more computation efficient, and both the global threshold and connected components methods are efficiently multi-threaded.

I have also used the Statistics[3] and LabelStatistics[3] image filters to compute thresholds based on certain standard deviations. I have also computed certain robust nth-order statistics with numpy by getting access to image buffer. Unfortunately, this buffer access method is not available in Java yet. There is likely just a little bit of SWIG code that is needed, and some TESTS written. We aiming to get some community support to put some sugar on top for many of the languages that SimpleITK supports. So there have been a couple of discussions on the mailing list regarding this interface.

There are quite a number of options you have. Please let me know if need any additional info deciding what is best for you or help getting started.

Brad

[1] http://hdl.handle.net/10380/3279
[2] http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/group__ITKThresholding.html
[3] http://www.itk.org/SimpleITKDoxygen/html/annotated.html