[Insight-users] Peel an image

gib g.bogle at auckland.ac.nz
Wed May 22 01:04:14 EDT 2013

It's hard to know what to call the processing I want to apply.  I have a set
of biological images (actually a 3D image, but for now I'm happy to process
the frames one-by-one) in which the region of interest has an irregular and
incomplete labelled layer around the boundary.  The staining of the layer
was unintended, and its presence interferes with the segmentation that I am
doing.  The part of the image that I want to extract is made up of many
disconnected objects, and there is not much difference in the intensity
ranges of the objects of interest and the unwanted edge.  I am willing to
trim a few pixels off the boundary all the way around - this will not cause
much loss of information.  What I need is way to determine a sequence of
pixels that in some sense defines the extent of the labelled region in the
image, rather like a 2D shrink wrapping.  I could then use this to shave or
peel off the outer layer of pixels.

Does this process have a name?  Are there any existing filters or code to do
this?  Any clever suggestions (I have some ideas)?

Thanks
Gib