[Insight-users] Creating polygon masks quickly

Brynolf patrik.brynolfsson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 04:26:27 EST 2013

Hello,

I want to create a mask from a set of points describing a number of
polygons. I have implemented this using itkPolygonSpatialObject,
itkPolygonGroupSpatialObject and itkSpatialObjectToImageFilter. However,
using itkSpatialObjectToImageFilter for my polygons take me 6 hours (!!).
Apparently polylineMask2dimagefilter can only work with convex shapes, so
that is out of the question too. I encountered this problem before (2010),
now I work on another project and I find myself in the same situation. Using
matlab this takes a fraction of a second.

I assume there must be a fast and easy way to create a mask from a set of
points describing a polygon, since this would be the easiest way to
interactively create masks in a UI. How do people get around the
unimaginably slow itkSpatialObjectToImageFilter? Have any of you created
masks from user input without waiting minutes or hours? How have you solved
it?

I guess and hope I am missing something obvious here, so please educate me!

Thank you in advance!