[Insight-users] ITK and DICOM surfaces

Pölönen Harri Harri.Polonen at vtt.fi
Wed Nov 27 03:20:14 EST 2013

Hello all!

I need to read and write surfaces from local DICOM files and convert them to/from ITKmesh structures. The surfaces in DICOM files are not defined as images but as meshes with nodes and polygons. I made some research and understood that gdcm does not support DICOM surfaces ("Surface Segmentation Storage SOP Class" defined in Supplement 132 since 2008).

So does anyone here have experience on using DICOM surface storage class with ITK? Most probably I have to build my own reader/writer for it. Or is it possible to use some other DICOM reader as part of ITK than gdcm?

Many thanks!

Harri,
Finland