[Insight-users] Itk 4 - Multithreading over multiple nodes of linux high performance computer

Bilal Tahir bilalahmedtahir at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 3 09:50:17 EDT 2013

Dear ITK community,

This is my first email on this mail base so please bear with me.

My query is regarding multithreading over multiple cores. In our high
performance Linux Sun Grid Engine, we have 16 CPUs per node. Currently I
use image registration software based on ITK 4 (e.g. ants Registration,
Elastix)  and set the environment variable
ITK_GLOBAL_DEFAULT_NUMBER_OF_THREADS and openMP options in my bash scripts
to 16.

However, some of our Linux administrators suggested to run parallel across
multiple nodes to increase the total number of CPUs. Is this possible with
ITK 4 and does it require something like the MPI framework? Without some
form of message passing I would imagine it will be difficult to envisage
taking advantage of multiple nodes from a single program. I heard there
were some discussions about MPI implementations of ITK 4 but nothing has
materialised yet.

Could anyone shed any light as to whether it is feasible to run ITK 4 over
several nodes and how to go about doing this?

Best wishes

Bilal