[Insight-users] 3D vessel reconstruction

Ivan Macia imacia at vicomtech.org
Thu Oct 10 12:06:11 EDT 2013

Dear Jeanita,

What do you mean with "get the vessel lumen"? What kind of output do you
expect? If you have a 3D centerline from a series of descriptors (2D points
and radii) you could easily obtain a new set of interpolated sections
across the 3D centerline with the desired sampling factor for the distance
along the centerline, by simply interpolating the center and radii. From
this you could generate a somehow smooth 3D surface model by sweeping those
sections, you could do this easily with VTK, i think i did it once.

If want you want is a voxel-based segmentation of your lumen this is far
more difficult, but I dont know to which extent is useful, because your
source data is by nature sparse, and you will try to fill an entire dense
volume, with the necessary memory and computation resources, which does not
adapt to the nature of your source data.

Hope that helps

Iván