[Insight-users] No output in XCode console when project built with -GXcode

DVigneault davis.vigneault at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 13:27:30 EDT 2013

Per Matt's suggestion, I posted this question to the CMake mailing list, and
got the following response:

"This seems like an Xcode bug. I'm seeing the same thing you are. The path
with the extra "build" is the project's build path. The target's build path
seems to be ignored when trying to figure out the location of the binary for
the Products group."

Therefore, as I'd still like to use Xcode, I created an Xcode project using
the C++ template, pasted in the HelloWorld example, and added
/usr/local/include/ITK-4.4 to the header search path.  XCode was able to
find the header itkImage.h (!!!).  However, the build failed due to 9
"semantic issues" in vnl_numeric_traits.h, all of which were very similar to
the following:

/usr/local/include/ITK-4.4/vnl/vnl_numeric_traits.h:387:22: In-class
initializer for static data member of type 'const float' requires
'constexpr' specifier

In this example, Xcode wants to change this:

  //: Additive identity
  static const float zero VCL_STATIC_CONST_INIT_FLOAT_DECL(0.0F);

to this:

  //: Additive identity
  constexpr static const float zero VCL_STATIC_CONST_INIT_FLOAT_DECL(0.0F);

After some googling ( Stack
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1907214/why-are-inlined-static-consts-not-allowed-except-ints>
), it looks like there was no way to do static const float in older C++
standards, and that newer standards have added constexpr in order to make up
for this.  However, as you might expect, I'm leery about changing the header
files.  So, my questions are:

1.  Is there something I could change to avoid this error?  Perhaps in the
compiler settings?
2.  If not, is it safe to allow Xcode to make these changes?

Best, and thanks for your patience,

--d