[Insight-users] itkBinaryDilateImageFilter speed 4D data

Jose Ignacio Prieto joseignacio.prieto at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 09:59:40 EDT 2013

Hi, I need your advice for a dilate filter I am using. I have cine 3d
images (3d+time) loaded as a 4d matrix on itk. They are 25 phases of heart
MRI images. So my matrix dimensions are 128,128,65,25. Following the
"connected threshold" example, I apply a CurvatureFlowImageFilter for
smoothing and then ConnectedThreshold for segmenting the heart and aorta.
Then I use Binary dilate over the mask to close the holes (for example
between the vessels).
The question is that the dilate operation takes too much time (around 6
min) and I have noticed that is single-threaded. As the structuring
elemente I was using binary ball and now I changed to a
FlatStructuringElement(box) to speed up (as I could read in a forum), but
it takes the same time. Given that kind of image, what variation could I
make to have a fast dilation? What about gpu based methods? I have noticed
that the radius 8 ball is the problematic, when I try 4 or 2 pixel radius
it works much faster.
Thank you very much.

--
José Ignacio Prieto