[Insight-users] Extracting each connected component of a binary image

Pol Monsó pol.monso+tools at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 16:33:25 EDT 2013

Hi,

I've searching how to extract each connected component of a binary image
such as
http://blogs.mathworks.com/images/steve/2008/binary_indexed_vis_01.png
into a separate image through the ConnectedComponentFilter (or maybe the
labelmap?)

I've seen how to extract the largest one on the examples, but I couldn't
see how to iterate over the image to extract each one of them into a
separate image. I could iterate over the image checking pixelvalues, but
that does not seem efficient and I suspect there's another way to do this.

It looks that the ChangeLabelImageFilter should be able to do it but I
couldn't figure out how. A short example would be perfect, or a pointer to
how to iterate over the connected components.

Cheers,

Pol