[Insight-users] Problem with lbfgsb optimiser

Tim Allman dr.tim.allman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 08:43:40 EDT 2013

While doing some rigid registrations I found that occasionally the
dreaded message "itk::ERROR: MeanSquaresImageToImageMetric(0x1caf8330):
Too many samples map outside moving image buffer: 0 / 14986" would end
it all. I could find nothing wrong with my code so I dived into the itk
libraries with my debugger and discovered that code in lbfgsb.c failed
occasionally and without apparent reason. I had thought that the
registration had just lost its way but the trail of output parameters
suggests not.

I don't have any more time to put into this because it could be in the
logic of the Fortran code or the f2c translation (which seems to have
been modified) and it would take too long to learn the logic of the
code. I will just try another optimiser.

However, I have written a small program (attached) which demonstrates
that problem. Perhaps it will be helpful to you.

Tim

--
Tim Allman, Ph.D.
35 Margaret Street,