[ITK-users] Simpleitk installation on Mac 10.9.2

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Apr 16 19:18:45 EDT 2014

Hello Chao,

The "Fatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread" error, frequently occurs when the SimpleITK binary was compiled against an incompatible version of python to what you are running.

What python distribution are you using? Do you have any third party python interpreters installed? (Your error message below indicates that you are not using the system python!)

On OSX this frequently occurs when there is a Third Party version of Python installed. The distributed binary are not compatible with Enthought or Mac Ports  installation of python. It's work with the system python and the python distributed from python.org.

Regarding compiling:

1) I recommend disabling the languages you don't need. Such as R.
2) For python review which executable, library, and headers are used. Ensure that they are consistent with the version and installation of python you will be using.

hope that helps,
Brad