[ITK-users] GPUDiscreteGaussian not working

Denis Shamonin dshamoni at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 03:27:21 EDT 2014

Hi Jim, Won-Ki,

Sorry I did not notice that InputImageType is GPU image.

I’ve tried the itkGPUDiscreteGaussianImageFilterTest with floats as input
and same settings as in Jose example.
It works for my on NVidia, ATI machine on Windows, but as soon as you
change it to short images it does not work anymore. I’ve latest beta driver
for ATI and latest on NVIDIA driver. I think something wrong, if I try to
save CPU image, it looks valid to me.

I general, what I wanted to point is that following call
GPUFilter->GetOutput()->UpdateBuffers(); // synchronization point (GPU->CPU
memcpy) should not happen and have to be removed from the user code. And
that is similar to GPUExplicitSync method that I've to use sometimes. You
may have problem for synchronization will explain bellow.

Following code GPUFilter->GetOutput()->UpdateBuffers() is only possible to
use if input or output image was explicitly created as itk::GPUImage. And
this is not available once
itk::ObjectFactoryBase::RegisterFactory( itk::GPUImageFactory::New() ) is
used.

According to me there are few ways you should be able to enable GPU support
in you code:
1.    Using Registry Factory
2.    Using explicit definition on the itk::GPUImage and itk::GPU* filters
3.    Combination of 1 and 2

1. Using Registry Factory

1.1 I like this approach, but you should not change you original code at
all, no extra code should be added except RegisterFactory. Therefore
UpdateBuffers() or similar sync points should be out from the user code.
Example where sync UpdateBuffers() goes wrong would be something like
implementing filter which use GPU and CPU calculations in GenerateData().
For example itkGPUSmoothingRecursiveGaussianImageFilter.
You could enable GPUImageFactory and GPURecursiveGaussianImageFilterFactory
to convert it to GPU, but it also has a caster which may work on CPU by
design. At this moment you would not be able to change original
itkSmoothingRecursiveGaussianImageFilter, to inject extra sync steps like
UpdateBuffers().
I think that all sync steps should be managed by the GPU pipeline, not by
the user.

1.2 RegisterFactory approach have some problems as well. What if you
original code was based on doubles, where you would like to enable only
float support on GPU. Then RegisterFactory would not be a solution,
sometimes you need extra copy steps. The RegisterFactory also increase
compilation and linking and you need to know where to place it.
You need to solve other things like: Where factories should be created on
the library side or on the application side and how many of them? etc

2. Using explicit definition
The current GPU pipeline does not manage correctly CPU->GPU->CPU pipeline
connections or similar connections.
You need to add extra steps to enable it.

3.  Combination of 1 and 2
Should be always available, sometimes that is only correct way to make GPU
filter.

I could think about many examples where synchronization in current
implementation may not work:

1.  Most of the problems I’ve experienced is when Grafting() is used for
the output.
The GraftOutput() does not trigger any updates on CPU side as far as I’ve
tried.
Therefore you always have to manage this step yourself.

2.  Classes called itkImageAlgorithm, itkImageAdaptor and other similar
classes or any direct access to the raw pointers.
This is much bigger problem. If this classes or direct access to the raw
pointers are used, the data are not synchronized anymore. This is more
tricky to find, you may have GPU image perfectly allocated and somewhere in
ITK pipeline it was used. Not even you have to synchronize, but you have to
do it in the right time.

3.  Limited GPU memory. It is possible to run GPU pipeline with limited
memory if you perform more smart
synchronization for the input and output images. Current ITK pipelines
could use Gb’s of data pushed through it. On GPU you don’t have this
possibility. You can’t just keep allocating 512x512x256 images for every
input and output on GPU.
Therefore you would have to create a special way to execute GPU pipeline.

4.  Very long GPU pipelines in combination with other ITK filters.
There you will have very complex output allocation, in place filtering,
release outputs, setting output regions, crafting etc.
In this pipelines you don’t have to always copy data back to CPU if next
filter is GPU or even avoid running code on current GPU etc.

Regards,
Denis Shamonin