[ITK-users] Multiply two .img or .hdr images in ITK

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Sun Apr 27 09:30:09 EDT 2014

Hello,

You may be interested in the SimpleITK bindings for ITK. SimpleITK provides an easy to use interface on top of ITK which excels facilitation quick image manipulation with ITK, and enables interactive manipulations with tools such as IPython[1]

SimpleITK for python is readily available as a binary download[2].  What you are looking for can be done in SimpleITK like this:

import SimpleITK as sitk
img1 = sitk.ReadImage("head.img")
img2 = sitk.ReadImage("BrainMask.img")
out = img1*img2
sitk.WriteImage("out.img")

This assumes that the two images occupy the same physical space and are the same pixel type. The binary operators in SimpleITK require that the pixel types are the same, so a cast may be needed.

However, if you are multiplying a mask by the grayscale you may be interested in the MaskImageFilter[3]. This filter will support most combinations and can be used:

sitk.Mask(img1, img2).

Enjoy,
Brad

[1] http://simpleitk.github.io/SimpleITK-Notebooks/