[ITK-users] [ITK-dev] Problem reading a big nifti volume.

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 01:03:06 EST 2014

Hi,
I have, coincidentally, run into what I presume is the same issue. I'll add
what I've observed, but note that I haven't gone into investigations very
thoroughly.

I started with a 5.9GB mha volume. I found that an old version of ITK snap
crashed when attempting to view it.

I converted to nifti using the ConvertBetweenFileFormats tool, and found
that fslview crashed, itksnap crashed, mrview  (from mrtrix) was able to
view. I tested a newer version of itksnap and found crashing with nifti.
The new version of itksnap would load the mha but would only display part
of it (probably the first 2GB), the rest was blank.

I also found that imageJ was able to view the nifti.

So, I think writing large nifti files from ITK is OK. Reading appears
broken. I think there may be additional issues with large files with
itksnap.