[ITK-users] [ITK] Question about ShapeLabelObject attribute

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Dec 10 09:43:03 EST 2014

Hello,

There are many ways to measure the maximum length of an object.

Principal moments of share are an important shape description that is common an I suggest further reading to be done on. You may be able to start on the wikipedia [1]. For some case I prefer to use second principle moments to measure the size of an object over length as it is a more robust statistics. It similar to using the standard deviation as opposed to the range to describe a set of samples. So the second principle moments in the shape label object are similar to the LabelGeometryFilter's axis measurements.

I have an external module which computes an oriented bounding box based on the second principle moments and provide access to this value you are looking for [2]. The computation done there should be much more efficient that what's done in the LabelGeometryImageFilter. If you want a simular interface to the LabelGeometryImageFilter that the LabelShapeStatisticsImageFilter should be the interface you are looking for[3][4].

Hope that helps,
Brad

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_moment_of_area
[2] https://github.com/blowekamp/itkOBBLabelMap