[Insight-users] dot product of itk vector was completely wrong

Tim Allman dr.tim.allman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 09:41:14 EST 2014

This brings up an issue with respect to design in C++.

I have made far too many mistakes like this over the years, usually in
my own code but with third party libraries as well. This strikes me as a
constructor that was written as a "convenience" and the compiler happily
tried to find a way of turning the returned scalar into a vector and
made no complaints when it did.

I would probably not included this constructor at all because the
following would do the same thing and the code would be clearer and less
brittle. If it turned out to be useful I would have made it explicit.

itk::Vector<double, 3> vec;
vec.Fill(28.0);

I think C++ tries to be too friendly and it is too easy to write
perfectly legal code which doesn't do what you expect.

Just a few thoughts,
Tim