[Insight-users] About some basic problems and doubts

UJJWAL aryan meetukme at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 09:22:19 EST 2014

Hi,

I installed VTK-6.1.0 and ITK-4.5 on my system (Ubuntu 13.04) . Before
that, ITK-4.4 and VTK-5.10 were installed on my system.
In order to remove them, I simply removed the build folders from which I
had run cmake during their installation (this method of removal was
suggested to me in the mailing list a long time back).

After I installed ITK-4.5 and VTK-6.1.0, I faced the following issues :

 When trying to compile a trivial ITK test program, it failed to link
because
 find_package(ITK REQUIRED) was still pointing to UseITK.cmake file
correspondin g to ITK-4.4 and not ITK-4.5. Finally in order to solve it, I
wrote find_package(ITK 4.5 REQUIRED)
My first question is :
  1. Why did it continue pointing to ITK-4.4 ? What is the correct way to
remove previous versions of libraries so that all their traces are gone and
there are no such conflicting links ?

2.  Even after solving this problem, it fails to link because it cannot
find any opencv libraries.  I compiled ITK with support for
ITKOPencvBridge. However in the test code, I have not used anything even
remotely concerned with OpenCV. Even in my CMakeLists.txt file, I have not
called Opencv at all. Then why is it trying to link to Opencv  ?
Why is it not able to find those libraries when they are in
usr/local/lib/opencv and /usr/local/lib/opencv2 ? About this, on further
probing I found that  opencv.pc file is present in pkg-config folder which
describes the package opencv perfectly.
Running Opencv test programs showed that OpenCv is installed properly.

3. How do I detect any traces of old and unused and unnecessary library
files left in my system and remove them without disturbing the rest of the
system ?

It might be that some of my questions are too basic or trivial. But I am
not an expert in Linux and any help and patient support  would be deeply
appreciated

--
Ujjwal