[Insight-users] Efficient distance to a sparse level set in ITK v4

Arnaud Gelas arnaudgelas at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 02:47:48 EST 2014

Hi Danielle,

it sounds like really interesting problem!

You're right: as it is now, it is not possible to set the number of layers in sparse representations in v4.

---

For Malcolm's representation the number of layers if fixed to 1 representing the zero level set (value equal to 0), and 2 values {-1;+1} to represent inner and outer parts.
For Shi's representation the number of layers if fixed to 2 {-1;+1}, and 2 values {-3;+3} to represent inner and outer parts.

By principle, these 2 representations are optimized to use only these little number of layers. You should also note that since the level set values are discrete, even if you could add extract layers you would not get a real distance in between your 2 objects.

For the Whitaker's representation, in principle you could add more layers; but in the implementation we constrain it to the minimum set.

---

To answer your question, I think it really depends on (1) your constrain on the distance you want to apply, on (2) the shape of the object you want to segment and (3) your initialization.

(1) If the distance is rather small, you could add some extra layers (I would highly recommend not to add too many layers, e.g 1 or 2 extra layers on each side). Whitaker's representation could be extended or another sparse representation could be implemented to be able to set the number of layers, but it would depends if you want real value for the level set or if you are ok with discrete (?). I think such a contribution would be a great addition to the toolkit; and we could give you some guidance for that ;)!!
else if it is too large, you would loose the main interest of sparsity for level-set; and in such a case I would rather go for a sparse representation with few layers (Malcolm or Shi), then compute a distance map from the zero set.

(2) (3) If you can provide some bounds on the position and shape of the objects, you could fix and restrain domains on which the level sets would evolve, and thus here you could directly use a dense representation, or use (1). Your initialisation needs to be in this domain…

You can get some additional details in the neuroinformatics paper on v4 level set:

Best

HTH,
Arnaud