[Insight-users] MHA/MHD File Format

coderforlife jeff at coderforlife.com
Tue Feb 18 16:55:32 EST 2014

I am making a metafile (MHA/MHD) file format reader/writer. The only
documentation on the format I can really find is at
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/MetaIO/Documentation and it is not very good. I have
plenty of questions and clarifications. Additionally, if there is better
documentation that would be great too.

First off, I am only supporting Image objects, so there is a lot of fields
that I don't need to care about.

1. Since I am only accepting a single ObjectType equal to Image, are there
any header fields which are allowed to appear more than once?
2. For enumerated types (like ObjectType, ElementType), is capitalization
important? For example, is image and Image both acceptable? Are MET_UCHAR
and met_uchar both acceptable?
3. What does the data look like when BinaryData is False?
4. Is CompressedData=True allowed with HeaderSize=-1?
5. Is HeaderSize allowed with ElementDataFile=LOCAL?
6. Is ElementNumberOfChannels allowed when not using MET_*_ARRAY types?
7. What is the difference between ElementByteOrderMSB and
BinaryDataByteOrderMSB?
8. How is the Rotation/Orientation/TransformMatrix saved in the header? I
know they are a matrix, but are they stored on a single line, ... etc?
9. When saving other fields that are arrays (like DimSize), is anything
besides spaces allowed as separators?
10. With ElementDataFile=LOCAL, LIST, etc does the LOCAL/LIST need to be
capitalized?

Thanks!
Jeff