[Insight-users] How to define range of value using in MI (Mattes)

zoro k09tranhoan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 03:03:26 EST 2014

Dear all,

I am performing registration between 3D volumes (chest before and after
breathing) using Mattes MI & LBFGSBOptimizer. The result is pretty good but
I need to improve it. Range of values in fixed image and moving image is
(0,4000) with about 50 histogram bins number.

The purpose of my work is to register cardiac parts but when using MI, it
also registers bone parts. I want to define the range of value in volume to
perform Mattes MI. For example, only in (0,1000) without modified the
original volume. By the way, I used mask to concentrate at cardiac part and
the result is also good.

I wonder there is a method or not to define (min,max) using in MI. I
attached part of MattesMutualInformation in ITK as I thought it related to
this problem.

Thank you so much and I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

/  const int padding = 2;  // this will pad by 2 bins

  this->m_FixedImageBinSize = ( this->m_FixedImageTrueMax -
this->m_FixedImageTrueMin )
    / static_cast<PDFValueType>( this->m_NumberOfHistogramBins - 2 * padding
);
  this->m_FixedImageNormalizedMin = this->m_FixedImageTrueMin /
this->m_FixedImageBinSize - static_cast<PDFValueType>( padding );

  this->m_MovingImageBinSize = ( this->m_MovingImageTrueMax -
this->m_MovingImageTrueMin )
    / static_cast<PDFValueType>( this->m_NumberOfHistogramBins - 2 * padding
);
  this->m_MovingImageNormalizedMin = this->m_MovingImageTrueMin /
this->m_MovingImageBinSize - static_cast<PDFValueType>( padding );

  itkDebugMacro("FixedImageNormalizedMin: " <<
this->m_FixedImageNormalizedMin);
  itkDebugMacro("MovingImageNormalizedMin: " <<
this->m_MovingImageNormalizedMin);
  itkDebugMacro("FixedImageBinSize: " << this->m_FixedImageBinSize);
  itkDebugMacro("MovingImageBinSize; " << this->m_MovingImageBinSize);/