[ITK-users] 3D registration problem

Iyas Hamdan iyas.hamdan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 05:16:09 EDT 2014

Hello itk users,

I'm working on 3D image registration, currently I'm trying to register a CT
volume to an MRI volume ( the two volumes have different sizes concerning
the number of slices used to construct the 3D volume).

I'm doing an affine registration using the mutual information as a metric,
and I'm having problems registering those two volumes.

What I thiink the problem is, I have a different field of view between both
volumes, so when I try to register the whole CT volume to the MRI one  the
registration falis. However, when I deleted a dozen of slices from the CT
volume ( so that I had the same field of view in both volumes) it works
just fine and I was able to register the volumes.

And by "the registration failed" I meant it worked with no errors but the
result was really bad! and that the registered volume was nothing like the
fixed one, so if I try to find the difference between each two
corresponding slices for example , they were not aligned at all!

Is that normal that the registration doesnt work when I have a different
field of view in each volume ? or should it deform one volume so that it
corresponds to the other one even if they had two different fields of view
?

Any help would be really appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Iyas