[ITK-users] [ITK] How to make ITK-binaries NOT ignore kernel out of memory messages?

Dr. Roman Grothausmann grothausmann.roman at mh-hannover.de
Mon Jun 23 06:36:23 EDT 2014

Dear Luis,

Many thanks for Your reply. It took me some time to reproduce the problem,
because Your test program works as expected on our server:

~$ ~/itk/simple/build_itk-4.5.1/memtest_01 1000
ITK Hello World !

~$ ~/itk/simple/build_itk-4.5.1/memtest_01 10000
/opt/itk-4.5.1/include/ITK-4.5/itkImportImageContainer.hxx:192:
Failed to allocate memory for image.

One program of mine for which the problem exists is below. The problem occurs
when BinaryMask3DMeshSource acquires more memory after running for some minutes.
The very strange thing to me is, that the program is killed by the kernel as
expected on my desktop PC:

~/itk/simple/build_itk4_pc3G48243/euler-characteristic_01 13-511_EAA_ot.mha 255
component type is: unsigned_char
numDimensions: 3
component size: 1
pixel type (string): scalar
pixel type: 1
_________________________

Executing ImageFileReader  done. Took 2.78 seconds.
Executing BinaryMask3DMeshSource Killed

The header of 13-511_EAA_ot.mha:

ObjectType = Image
NDims = 3
BinaryData = True
BinaryDataByteOrderMSB = False
CompressedData = True
CompressedDataSize = 20474538
TransformMatrix = 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1
Offset = 0 0 0
CenterOfRotation = 0 0 0
AnatomicalOrientation = RAI
ElementSpacing = 1 1 1
DimSize = 998 998 1034
ElementType = MET_UCHAR
ElementDataFile = LOCAL

However on the server it is not terminated when the RAM runs out, instead many
processes go nuts that had been mostly sleeping and finally the system does not
respond any more at all and a cold start is necessary. The itk-4.5.1 is
configured on the server with (see attached CMakeCache_itk-4.5.1.txt):

ITK_COMPUTER_MEMORY_SIZE  190

The server has 256GB of RAM an no Swap enabled:

free
Mem:     264498496    1341020  263157476          0     285760     289120
-/+ buffers/cache:     766140  263732356
Swap:            0          0          0

Has 12x2 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPUs:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 45
model name	: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630L 0 @ 2.00GHz
stepping	: 7
microcode	: 0x710
cpu MHz		: 1200.000
cache size	: 15360 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 12
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 6
apicid		: 0
initial apicid	: 0
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 13
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc
aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr
pdcm pcid dca sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx
lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips	: 4000.56
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:
.
.
.

The server runs a Debian Wheezy (7.2):
uname -a
Linux img1-serv 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.57-3+deb7u2 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My desktop PC has the same Debian (also same update state):
uname -a
Linux pc3G48243 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.57-3+deb7u2 x86_64 GNU/Linux

free
Mem:       8180356    1185364    6994992          0      23348     216084
-/+ buffers/cache:     945932    7234424
Swap:            0          0          0

and 4 AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processors:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 21
model		: 1
model name	: AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor
stepping	: 2
microcode	: 0x6000626
cpu MHz		: 1400.000
cache size	: 2048 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 4
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 2
apicid		: 16
initial apicid	: 0
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 13
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36
clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm
constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq
monitor ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes xsave avx lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm
extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs xop skinit wdt
lwp fma4 nodeid_msr topoext perfctr_core arat cpb hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock
nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold
bogomips	: 7233.41
TLB size	: 1536 4K pages
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm 100mhzsteps hwpstate [9]

Knowing now, that itk checks for available RAM, the only sources for this
problem I can think of would be an odd configuration of ITK itself or its use in
programs compiled on the server, or some configuration differences in the
(Debian) system, or some hardware problem.

Do You have any idea what it could be?
Or do You have any suggestions how I should go on searching for the cause?

Any help or hints are very much appriciated.
Many thanks for Your help again!

Roman

////program to calculate the Euler characteristic of a binary image converted to
itkQuadEdgeMesh
////THEREFORE does NOT take filled regions into account only covering surfaces!
////if fillings should be accounted use instead a vtk program taking 3D cells
into account

#include <itkImageFileReader.h>
//#include <itkImage.h>
#include <itkBinaryMask3DMeshSource.h> //itk marching cubes (mc) very slow and
resource hungry :-(
#include <itkQuadEdgeMeshTopologyChecker.h>
#include <itkQuadEdgeMeshBoundaryEdgesMeshFunction.h>

#include "itkFilterWatcher2.h"

void dispatch_cT(itk::ImageIOBase::IOPixelType,
itk::ImageIOBase::IOComponentType, size_t, int, char **);

template<typename InputComponentType>
void dispatch_pT(itk::ImageIOBase::IOPixelType pixelType, size_t, int, char **);

template<typename InputComponentType, typename InputPixelType>
void dispatch_D(size_t, int, char **);

template<typename InputComponentType, typename InputPixelType, size_t Dimension>
int DoIt(int, char *argv[]);

template<typename InputComponentType, typename InputPixelType, size_t Dimension>
int DoIt(int argc, char *argv[]){

   typedef InputPixelType  OutputPixelType;

   typedef itk::Image<InputPixelType, Dimension>  InputImageType;
   typedef itk::Image<OutputPixelType, Dimension>  OutputImageType;

   typedef itk::ImageFileReader<InputImageType> ReaderType;
   typename ReaderType::Pointer reader = ReaderType::New();

   reader->SetFileName(argv[1]);
   FilterWatcher watcherI(reader, "reading");
   watcherI.QuietOn();
   watcherI.ReportTimeOn();
   try
     {
       reader->Update();
     }
   catch (itk::ExceptionObject &ex)
     {
       if (!strcmp(ex.GetDescription(), "Filter does not have progress.")){
       std::cerr << ex.GetDescription() << std::endl;
       return EXIT_FAILURE;
       }
     }

   typedef double        CoordType;

   //typedef itk::Mesh<CoordType> MeshType;
   typedef itk::QuadEdgeMesh<CoordType, Dimension> InputMeshType;

   const InputPixelType isoValue= static_cast<InputPixelType>(atof(argv[2]));

   typedef itk::BinaryMask3DMeshSource<InputImageType, InputMeshType>
MeshSourceType;
   typename MeshSourceType::Pointer meshSource = MeshSourceType::New();

   meshSource->SetInput(reader->GetOutput());
   meshSource->SetObjectValue(isoValue);

   FilterWatcher watcher(meshSource, "BinaryMask3DMeshSource");
   watcher.QuietOn();
   watcher.ReportTimeOn();
   try
     {
       meshSource->Update();
     }
   catch (itk::ExceptionObject &ex)
     {
       if (!strcmp(ex.GetDescription(), "Filter does not have progress.")){
	std::cerr << ex.GetDescription() << std::endl;
	return EXIT_FAILURE;
       }
     }

   std::cout << "Nodes = " << meshSource->GetNumberOfNodes() << std::endl;
   std::cout << "Cells = " << meshSource->GetNumberOfCells() << std::endl;

   typename InputMeshType::Pointer mesh= meshSource->GetOutput();

   //// check if meshSource can be represented as an itkQuadEdgeMesh
   //// if BinaryMask3DMeshSource caps boundary surfaces this check is not
necessary!

   typedef itk::QuadEdgeMeshTopologyChecker<InputMeshType> TQEchecker;
   typename TQEchecker::Pointer QEchecker = TQEchecker::New();
   QEchecker->SetMesh(mesh);
   std::cerr << "Executing
QuadEdgeMeshTopologyChecker->ValidateEulerCharacteristic()";
   if(!QEchecker->ValidateEulerCharacteristic()){
     std::cerr << "Not a valid QuadEdgeMesh! Aborting." << std::endl;
     return EXIT_FAILURE;
   }
   std::cerr << " done." << std::endl;

   //// calc Euler characteristics \xi
   //// For closed smooth manifolds, the Euler characteristic coincides with the
Euler number:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_characteristic#Relations_to_other_invariants
   //// general formula see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genus_%28mathematics%29#Orientable_surface
   ////
   ////
   ////
   //// good QuadEdge explanation:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/andrew/scs/cs/15-463/2001/pub/src/a2/quadedge.html
   /// from itkQuadEdgeMeshTopologyChecker.hxx

   typedef itk::QuadEdgeMeshBoundaryEdgesMeshFunction<InputMeshType> BoundaryEdges;

   typename BoundaryEdges::Pointer boundaryEdges = BoundaryEdges::New();

   // Number of USED points
   typedef typename InputMeshType::PointIdentifier                PointIdentifier;
   std::cerr << "ComputeNumberOfPoints";
   PointIdentifier numPoints = mesh->ComputeNumberOfPoints();
   std::cerr << " done." << std::endl;
   // Number of USED edges
   typedef typename InputMeshType::CellIdentifier                 CellIdentifier;
   std::cerr << "ComputeNumberOfEdges";
   CellIdentifier numEdges  = mesh->ComputeNumberOfEdges();
   std::cerr << " done." << std::endl;
   // Number of USED faces
   std::cerr << "ComputeNumberOfFaces";
   CellIdentifier numFaces  = mesh->ComputeNumberOfFaces();
   std::cerr << " done." << std::endl;
   // Number of Boundaries
   std::cerr << "ComputeNumberOfBoundaryEdges";
   typename BoundaryEdges::OutputType
     listOfBoundaries = boundaryEdges->Evaluate((*mesh));
   std::cerr << " done." << std::endl;
   CellIdentifier numBounds = listOfBoundaries->size();
   delete listOfBoundaries;

   /**
    * Number of points
    *
    * There are two methods to get the number of points.
    * 1. itk::QuadEdgeMesh::ComputeNumberOfPoints()
    * 2. itk::Mesh::GetNumberOfPoints()
    *
    * As an itk::QuadEdgeMesh is an itk::Mesh by inheritance, the user
    * can use both. 1. will returned the number of points actually
    * used by at least one edge, while 2. will give you the number
    * of points in the container. Number of unused points can be found
    * by making the difference between the two values.
    */
   if(mesh->GetNumberOfPoints() != numPoints){
     std::cerr << "There are isolated vertices! Aborting." << std::endl;
     return EXIT_FAILURE;
   }

   // The euler formula states:
   // numFaces - numEdges + numPoints == 2 - 2 * genus - numBounds == \xi
   // hence 2 * genus= 2 - numBounds - numFaces + numEdges - numPoints must be
an oddeven number.

   typedef ::itk::OffsetValueType    OffsetValueType;

   OffsetValueType xi=
     + OffsetValueType(numFaces)
     - OffsetValueType(numEdges)
     + OffsetValueType(numPoints);

   std::cout << "The Euler characteristic Xi is: " << xi << std::endl;

   OffsetValueType twiceGenus=
     + OffsetValueType(2) - OffsetValueType(numBounds)
     - xi;

   std::cout << "The genus is: " << twiceGenus/OffsetValueType(2) << std::endl;

   return EXIT_SUCCESS;

}

void dispatch_cT(itk::ImageIOBase::IOComponentType componentType,
itk::ImageIOBase::IOPixelType pixelType, size_t dimensionType, int argc, char
*argv[]){

//http://www.itk.org/Doxygen45/html/classitk_1_1ImageIOBase.html#a8dc783055a0af6f0a5a26cb080feb178
   //http://www.itk.org/Doxygen45/html/itkImageIOBase_8h_source.html#l00107
   //IOComponentType: UNKNOWNCOMPONENTTYPE, UCHAR, CHAR, USHORT, SHORT, UINT,
INT, ULONG, LONG, FLOAT, DOUBLE

   switch (componentType){
   case itk::ImageIOBase::UCHAR:{
     typedef unsigned char InputComponentType;
     dispatch_pT<InputComponentType>(pixelType, dimensionType, argc, argv);
   }
     break;
   case itk::ImageIOBase::CHAR:{
     typedef char InputComponentType;
     dispatch_pT<InputComponentType>(pixelType, dimensionType, argc, argv);
   }
     break;
   case itk::ImageIOBase::USHORT:{
     typedef unsigned short InputComponentType;
     dispatch_pT<InputComponentType>(pixelType, dimensionType, argc, argv);
   }
     break;
   case itk::ImageIOBase::SHORT:{
     typedef short InputComponentType;
     dispatch_pT<InputComponentType>(pixelType, dimensionType, argc, argv);
   }
     break;
   case itk::ImageIOBase::UINT:{
     typedef unsigned int InputComponentType;
     dispatch_pT<InputComponentType>(pixelType, dimensionType, argc, argv);
   }
     break;
   case itk::ImageIOBase::INT:{
     typedef int InputComponentType;
     dispatch_pT<InputComponentType>(pixelType, dimensionType, argc, argv);
   }
     break;
   // case itk::ImageIOBase::ULONG:{
   //   typedef unsigned long InputComponentType;
   //   dispatch_pT<InputComponentType>(pixelType, dimensionType, argc, argv);
   // }
   //   break;
   // case itk::ImageIOBase::LONG:{
   //   typedef long InputComponentType;
   //   dispatch_pT<InputComponentType>(pixelType, dimensionType, argc, argv);
   // }
   //   break;
   // case itk::ImageIOBase::FLOAT:{
   //   typedef float InputComponentType;
   //   dispatch_pT<InputComponentType>(pixelType, dimensionType, argc, argv);
   // }
   //   break;
   // case itk::ImageIOBase::DOUBLE:{
   //   typedef double InputComponentType;
   //   dispatch_pT<InputComponentType>(pixelType, dimensionType, argc, argv);
   // }
   // break;
   case itk::ImageIOBase::UNKNOWNCOMPONENTTYPE:
   default:
     std::cout << "unknown component type" << std::endl;
     break;
   }//switch
}

template<typename InputComponentType>
void dispatch_pT(itk::ImageIOBase::IOPixelType pixelType, size_t dimensionType,
int argc, char *argv[]){

//http://www.itk.org/Doxygen45/html/classitk_1_1ImageIOBase.html#abd189f096c2a1b3ea559bc3e4849f658
     //http://www.itk.org/Doxygen45/html/itkImageIOBase_8h_source.html#l00099
     //IOPixelType:: UNKNOWNPIXELTYPE, SCALAR, RGB, RGBA, OFFSET, VECTOR, POINT,
COVARIANTVECTOR, SYMMETRICSECONDRANKTENSOR, DIFFUSIONTENSOR3D, COMPLEX,
FIXEDARRAY, MATRIX

   switch (pixelType){
   case itk::ImageIOBase::SCALAR:{
     typedef InputComponentType InputPixelType;
     //typedef itk::SCALARPixel<InputComponentType> InputPixelType;
     dispatch_D<InputComponentType, InputPixelType>(dimensionType, argc, argv);
   }
     break;
   // case itk::ImageIOBase::RGB:{
   //   typedef itk::RGBPixel<InputComponentType> InputPixelType;
   //   dispatch_D<InputComponentType, InputPixelType>(dimensionType, argc, argv);
   // }
   //   break;
   // case itk::ImageIOBase::RGBA:{
   //   typedef itk::RGBAPixel<InputComponentType> InputPixelType;
   //   dispatch_D<InputComponentType, InputPixelType>(dimensionType, argc, argv);
   // }
   //   break;
   // case itk::ImageIOBase::VECTOR:{
   //   //typedef itk::VECTORPixel<InputComponentType> InputPixelType; //does
not work!
   //   typedef itk::VariableLengthVector<InputComponentType> InputPixelType;
   //   dispatch_D<InputComponentType, InputPixelType>(dimensionType, argc, argv);
   // }
   //   break;
   case itk::ImageIOBase::UNKNOWNPIXELTYPE:
   default:
     std::cout << "unknown pixel type" << std::endl;
     break;
   }//switch
}

template<typename InputComponentType, typename InputPixelType>
void dispatch_D(size_t dimensionType, int argc, char *argv[]){
   switch (dimensionType){
   // case 1:
   //   DoIt<InputComponentType, InputPixelType, 1>(argc, argv);
   //   break;
   // case 2:
   //   DoIt<InputComponentType, InputPixelType, 2>(argc, argv);
   //   break;
   case 3:
     DoIt<InputComponentType, InputPixelType, 3>(argc, argv);
     break;
   case 4:
     DoIt<InputComponentType, InputPixelType, 3>(argc, argv);
     break;
   case 5:
     DoIt<InputComponentType, InputPixelType, 3>(argc, argv);
     break;
   default:
     std::cout << "Images of dimension " << dimensionType << " are not
supported!" << std::endl;
     break;
   }
}

////from
http://itk-users.7.n7.nabble.com/Pad-image-with-0-but-keep-its-type-what-ever-it-is-td27442.html
//namespace itk{
   // Get the PixelType and ComponentType from fileName

void GetImageType (std::string fileName,
     itk::ImageIOBase::IOPixelType &pixelType,
     itk::ImageIOBase::IOComponentType &componentType,
     size_t &dimensionType
     //ImageIOBase::IODimensionType &dimensionType
     ){
     typedef itk::Image<unsigned char, 3> ImageType;
     itk::ImageFileReader<ImageType>::Pointer imageReader=
itk::ImageFileReader<ImageType>::New();
     imageReader->SetFileName(fileName.c_str());
     imageReader->UpdateOutputInformation();

     pixelType = imageReader->GetImageIO()->GetPixelType();
     componentType = imageReader->GetImageIO()->GetComponentType();
     dimensionType= imageReader->GetImageIO()->GetNumberOfDimensions();

     //std::cerr << "Pixel Type is " <<
imageReader->GetImageIO()->GetComponentTypeAsString(pixelType) << std::endl;
     std::cerr << "component type is: " <<
imageReader->GetImageIO()->GetComponentTypeAsString(componentType) << std::endl;
     std::cerr << "numDimensions: " << dimensionType << std::endl;
     std::cerr << "component size: " <<
imageReader->GetImageIO()->GetComponentSize() << std::endl;
     std::cerr << "pixel type (string): " <<
imageReader->GetImageIO()->GetPixelTypeAsString(imageReader->GetImageIO()->GetPixelType())
<< std::endl;
     std::cerr << "pixel type: " << pixelType << std::endl <<
"_________________________"  << std::endl << std::endl;

     }

int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
     if ( argc != 3 )
	{
	std::cerr << "Missing Parameters: "
		  << argv[0]
		  << " Input_Image"
		  << " isoValue"
     		  << std::endl;

	return EXIT_FAILURE;
	}

     std::string ifn = argv[1];
     // std::string ofn = argv[2];
     // int compress= atoi(argv[3]);

     itk::ImageIOBase::IOPixelType pixelType;
     typename itk::ImageIOBase::IOComponentType componentType;
     //itk::ImageIOBase::IOComponentType componentType1;
     //itk::ImageIOBase::IODimensionType dimensionType1;
     size_t dimensionType;

     try
         {
         GetImageType(argv[1], pixelType, componentType, dimensionType);

	dispatch_cT(componentType, pixelType, dimensionType, argc, argv);
         }//try
     catch( itk::ExceptionObject &excep)
         {
         std::cerr << argv[0] << ": exception caught !" << std::endl;
         std::cerr << excep << std::endl;
         return EXIT_FAILURE;
         }

     return EXIT_SUCCESS;
     }

--
Dr. Roman Grothausmann

Tomographie und Digitale Bildverarbeitung
Tomography and Digital Image Analysis

Institut für Funktionelle und Angewandte Anatomie, OE 4120
Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Carl-Neuberg-Str. 1
D-30625 Hannover

Tel. +49 511 532-9574