[ITK-users] Question about ImageFileReader

Tim Allman dr.tim.allman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 11:23:25 EDT 2014

Perhaps I misunderstand the documentation but I have written the
following code with the idea that I could read arbitrary image file
types and let the ImageFileReader instance figure out which ImageIO was
needed. The files are Nrrd which seems to be supported but the last line
fails with the error below.

Any suggestions?

      std::string name =
/Users/tim/devel/ConvertToDicom/Case005/out_000.nrrd

     typedef unsigned short PixelType;
     typedef itk::Image<PixelType, 2u> Image2DType;
     typedef itk::ImageFileReader<Image2DType> ReaderType;

     reader->SetFileName(name);
     reader->Update();

itk::ImageFileReaderException:
/Users/tim/usr/local/ITK/Universal/Debug/include/ITK-4.5/itkImageFileReader.hxx:143:
  Could not create IO object for file
/Users/tim/devel/ConvertToDicom/Case005/out_000.nrrd
   Tried to create one of the following:
   You probably failed to set a file suffix, or
     set the suffix to an unsupported type.

Thanks,
Tim

--