[ITK-users] Problem adding ITK to project

Kent Ogden ogdenk at upstate.edu
Thu Apr 9 15:19:02 EDT 2015

I think I realized what the problem is.  I don't have time to verify
this now but I will report back when I do.

When I did this last (about a year ago) I was using a VTK build that was
set to create shared libraries.  As I recall that was required when I
built ITK with ITKVTKGlue turned on.  My current build is using static
VTK libraries (nice not to have to deal with .dll's) and I didn't get
the error in CMake when setting up ITK, and the Quickviewer worked just
fine.  I suspect that my problem now is that I don't have VTK built with
shared libraries.  Does this make sense to anyone?

Kent

>>> Pol Monsó Purtí 04/09/15 1:48 PM >>>
Hello Kent,

vtkRenderingCore_INCLUDE is probably empty so it then results on
#include and that's it.

Maybe try adding #warning vtkRenderingCore_INCLUDE to see it's contents,
but that's probably what's happening.

Hi,

I am trying to do something really simple, I have a VTK project (I'm
trying this with the cone.cxx example, about as simple as it gets) and I
want to add ITK functionality.  In the past I had used a modified
version of the ITKQuickView example, and it used to work:

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)

project(Cone)

find_package(ITK REQUIRED)
include(${ITK_USE_FILE})
if (ITKVtkGlue_LOADED)
  find_package(VTK REQUIRED)
  include(${VTK_USE_FILE})
else()
  find_package(ItkVtkGlue REQUIRED)
  include(${ItkVtkGlue_USE_FILE})
  set(Glue ItkVtkGlue)
endif()

add_executable(Cone MACOSX_BUNDLE Cone.cxx)
target_link_libraries(Cone
  ${Glue}  ${VTK_LIBRARIES} ${ITK_LIBRARIES})

Now, however, I get the following compile error (VS 2012 64 bit on Win
7):

2>C:\KW\VTKBuild\Rendering\Core\vtkRenderingCoreModule.h(37): error
C2006: '#include' : expected a filename, found 'newline'

The vicinity of that line in vtkRenderingCoreModule.h is

/* AutoInit implementations.  */
#if defined(vtkRenderingCore_INCLUDE)
# include vtkRenderingCore_INCLUDE  // Error is from this line
#endif
#if defined(vtkRenderingCore_AUTOINIT)
# include "vtkAutoInit.h"
VTK_AUTOINIT(vtkRenderingCore)
#endif

I do not have any ITK functionality added to the program yet, it is just
the cone.cxx example.  If I use a very simple CMakelists.txt file the
program compiles and runs just fine:

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)

project(Cone)
set(VTK_DIR "C:/KW/VTKBuild")
set(ITK_DIR "C:/KW/ITKBuild")

find_package(VTK REQUIRED)
include(${VTK_USE_FILE})

add_executable(Cone MACOSX_BUNDLE Cone.cxx)
target_link_libraries(Cone ${VTK_LIBRARIES} )

But if I try to add

find_package(ITK REQUIRED)
include(${ITK_USE_FILE})

I get the same error as above.  I am sure this is a simple issue but my
understanding of CMake is limited.  I know this isn't precisely an ITK
problem per se but I hoped someone could point out what I am doing
wrong.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Kent

Kent Ogden PhD