[ITK-users] speed function for itkSpeedToPathFilter

Prashanth prashanth.dumpuri at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 16:14:17 EDT 2015

Matt - I did not have success building TubeTk. First I got errors related
to Boost (even though the build instructions said it was optional) and then
I got errors related to KW Widgets. So, I abandoned building TubeTk.

Dan - Thanks again for the link but WhiteHatTopImageFilter did not work for
me. Again, if I read your email correctly then you said that a binary image
(1 inside vessel, 0 outside) should work as input for
itkSpeedFunctionToPathFilter. Binary images did not work for me either - I
ended up with zero points in my shortest path.

In case someone else stumbles across this post here's what worked for me:

(Defining the problem again) My goal is to find the shortest path between
two points that lie on a vessel's centerline.

What worked for me:
(assumes that input image and all other intermediate outputs are double
images. if not, cast your image).

1. Crop the input image (to speed up computations)
2. Select seeds on cropped image and use itkConfidenceConnectedmageFilter
to segment vessel
3. Fill the holes in the segmented binary image
4. Multiply the above image (hole filled binary segmented image) with
cropped image
5. Use image from step 4 as input for
itkMultiScaleHessianBasedMeasureImageFilter.
      I used itkHessianToObjectnessMeasureImageFilter as my hessian measure
filter input. Note that I had to set  SetScaleObjectnessMeasure to TRUE
           for itkHessianToObjectnessMeasureImageFilter  to work.
6. Rescale  itkMultiScaleHessianBasedMeasureImageFilter to lie between 0
and 1
7. Select start and end point and run itkSpeedFunctionToPathFilter

Thanks again to Matt and Dan for responding and helping me out.
Prashanth