[ITK-users] Own Transformation Class

dominik dominik.hofer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 04:47:20 EST 2015

Hey Matt,

thanks for your answer! :)

> A new transformation can often be avoided by calling SetWeights() on the
> optimizer as explained here [1]. This can be used to hold parameters
> constant for a given transform during the optimization process.
>
> However, it sounds like goal is to limit registration to information from
> a particular region in the image (the urethra). To achieve this goal, you
> may consider setting the Fixed and Moving image masks on the metric as
> described here [2].

I'm already using registration masks on the prostate itself to exclude the
surrounding tissue. However, the registration is always a bit off because in
the result the urethras are not in the same place. In the histology the
urethra is more or less a point and in the MRI the urethra is like a vector
(well actually it is more like a curve). So I'd like the transformation to
edit it in a way that the point follows that curve. I hope my explanation is
not too confusing :)

> If every histology slice is registered independently, when they are merged
> together there will be gaps and overlap in the histology slice locations.
> Therefore, if a histology volume is desired, the histology slices could be
> registered to each other first to generate a single histology slice
> volume, then that volume is registered to the MRI volume.

The histology slices all have a certain distance to each other (and are not
even parallel I think), so I think gaps in the merged volume are desirable.
Therefore I can't just stack them.

Cheers,
Dominik