[ITK-users] matplotlib bug with SimpleITK

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Thu Jul 30 10:10:22 EDT 2015

Hello,

1) Easiest way to get a SciPy stack.

Unfortunately, this is different depending on depending on the operating system, and even architecture, additionally it has changed though time too.

It sounds like you are using Python 64 on windows. I use those same packages provided by the third party.  However, for windows 32 those packages and available on pipy, and pip install works.

You may want to look into providers of the python distributions for scientific computing such as Anaconda or Canopy. Additionally linux package managers work quite well for getting a non-cutting edge version of the SciPy stack.

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/SimpleITK/FAQ#I_am_using_the_binary_distribution_of_SimpleITK_for_Anaconda.2C_why_do_I_get_an_error_about_libpng.3F

2) Don't worry about the SCALE_UNKNOW

We should update the image in the the notebook repository. Did you know the classic "cthead1.png" file in ITK, is actually an RGB image?

3) Why can I see Image in matplotlib

I have no idea. I don't know how you are running that code. I don't know what matplotlib backend you are using. I don't know if you are trying to view a RGB or a gray scale image or apply a color map. It could be as simple as a intensity scaling issue.

Matplotlib is nice to render results inline in notebooks to share. But to do really work with 3D images an external viewer is needed. This sitk::Show command defaults to ImageJ, but can easily be reconfigured to work with 3D Slicer or ITK SNAP.

HTH,
Brad