[ITK-users] Filling the region inside a closed contour

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Mar 4 09:28:44 EST 2015

Hello,

The turn-key solution would the to use the BinaryFillholeImageFilter[1]. There may be a solution which uses connected components and the LabelMap framework to determine the regions separated by the contour. Then there are a variety of conditional flood fill conditional iterators that could be used [2].

Lastly if I could make the assumption that the contour didn't touch the boarder, I'd write a threaded filter which uses a scan-line iterator which would alternate between an inside  and outside state based on encountering the input contour and wrote the output image accordingly.

You have options. The "best" or most "efficient" or most "robust" method can only be determine with experimentation and quantification for your problem.

Brad

[1] http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1BinaryFillholeImageFilter.html
[2] http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ShapedFloodFilledFunctionConditionalConstIterator.html