[ITK-users] [ITK] Mattes Mutual Information Speed with 3D Images

Gabriel A. Giménez gabrielgimenez85 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 15:24:05 EDT 2015

Hi!

I debug the code of the MMI implementation and the bottleneck is in in this
part:

*itkImageToImageMetricv4GetValueAndDerivativeThreader.hxx:*

template< typename TImageToImageMetricv4 >
void
ImageToImageMetricv4GetValueAndDerivativeThreader<
ThreadedIndexedContainerPartitioner, TImageToImageMetricv4 >
::*ThreadedExecution* ( const DomainType & indexSubRange,
                      const ThreadIdType threadId )
{
  //Initialize per thread buffers and variables.
  this->m_Associate->InitializeThread( threadId );

  typename TImageToImageMetricv4::VirtualPointSetType::ConstPointer
virtualSampledPointSet = this->m_Associate->GetVirtualSampledPointSet();
  typedef typename
TImageToImageMetricv4::VirtualPointSetType::MeshTraits::PointIdentifier
ElementIdentifierType;
  const ElementIdentifierType begin = indexSubRange[0];
  const ElementIdentifierType end   = indexSubRange[1];
  VirtualIndexType virtualIndex;
  typename VirtualImageType::ConstPointer virtualImage =
this->m_Associate->GetVirtualImage();
 * for( ElementIdentifierType i = begin; i <= end; ++i )*
*    {*
*    const VirtualPointType & virtualPoint =
virtualSampledPointSet->GetPoint( i );*
*    virtualImage->TransformPhysicalPointToIndex( virtualPoint,
virtualIndex );*
*    this->ProcessVirtualPoint( virtualIndex, virtualPoint, threadId );*
*    }*
  //Finalize per thread actions
  this->m_Associate->FinalizeThread( threadId );
}

The "for" statement takes a long time to finish running... and I think the
default multithreaded is 2...I tried to raise this value through seter
"SetMaximumNumberOfThreads()" but did not notice substantial improvements
in performance ..

However, when set build-type to "release" instead "debug" the performance
is much better (2 ~ 3 sec.) but without reaching to the order of
milliseconds....would I like it to be.

I could not do the test with the ITK 3D Slicer (my OS is of 32-bits only).

What do you think? can further improve performance?

Thanks and regards!

--
*Gabriel Alberto Giménez.*