[ITK-users] Resample and Directions in Image Registration

Gabriel A. Giménez gabrielgimenez85 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 19:09:59 EDT 2015

Hello everyone,
I am confused with some concepts ...

In the munual (version 4.6) of ITK it is mentioned about ResamplingFilter
(page 129):

*"Probably the most important thing to keep in mind when resampling images
is that the transform
is used to map points from the output image space into the input image
space."*

This mean that the parameters are passed to filter mapped points from the
output image to the input image, right?

Then in the chapter about registration mentioned (page 174) :

*"The Transform that is optimized in the ITK registration framework is the
one that maps points
from the physical space of the fixed image into the physical space of the
moving image"*

This indicates that the transformation parameters mapped points from the
fixed image to moving image ( In the example ”Hello World Registration" this
is observed ), right ?

During the resampling, at the end of registration for the resulting image,
this is done:

*resampler->SetTransform( registration->GetOutput()->Get() );*

*Why this? should not be pass to the filter the opposite transformation?*

I've read much... but I still very confusing concepts like these...
(physical spaces, grid/pixel spaces, directions of the transformations,
etc...)

Thanks in advance ...