[ITK-users] EuclideanDistancePointMetric: Error when comparing Mesh to QuadEdgeMesh

Davis Vigneault davis.vigneault at gmail.com
Thu May 21 05:43:22 EDT 2015

Thanks very much for the reply, Arnaud!  Yes, I had originally begin with
the v4 version, but ran into trouble when I tried to use it with
LevenbergMarquardtOptimizer.

EuclideanDistancePointMetric inherits from MultipleValuedCostFunction,
wherease EuclideanDistancePointSetToPointSetMetricv4 inherits from
SingleValuedCostFunctionv4.  To the best that I can tell,
LevenbergMarquardtOptimizer expects its cost function to inherit from
MultipleValuedCostFunction.  I tried wrapping
EuclideanDistancePointSetToPointSetMetricv4 in an adapter class inheriting
from MultipleValuedCostFunction, where I returned 1 from
GetNumberOfValues() and wrapped the return of GetValue() in an itk::Array
length 1.  However, when I did this, I got a warning saying (if I remember
correctly) that there was a mismatch between the number of unknowns and
residuals.  I realized that wrapping a "new" cost function class in an
"old" cost function class was a hacky way to go about it in the first
place, so I abandoned this method a while ago.

Is there a way to use the v4 version with LevenbergMarquardtOptimizer?  Is
there a reason that the v3 EuclideanDistanceMetric is multiple valued,
whereas the v4 metric is single valued?  Is a v4 LevenbergOptimizer in
development, and will it be single valued or multiple valued?

Apologies in advance if I've been going about this the wrong way--I've been
using ITK for a while, but am only just beginning to learn about
optimization/registration.