[ITK-users] How can I remove overlapped MRI DICOM images from the data?

lucky f_u_7 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 2 15:03:22 EST 2015

I have a data set of MRI DICOM images that was scanned using Torso/Body Coil.
We used multiple slabs of the coil to scanned the full arm. In the finalized
data, we have the overlapped region/images of sequences, we want to remove
those overlapped images from the data set. Of course, we will want to use
the high quality image and discard the noisy one if there is a overlap of
two.

My first question is,

How can we distinguish the overlapped image from the DICOM data set? There
is one metadata "0020|0032 "Image Position Patient" that can be used for
this, but is there anything else that I can use?

My second question is,

Is there any way/algorithm in ITK that can remove/delete the overlapped
images and save after that as new data set? I would also need to rearrange
the "vtkImageData*" in order to visualize the final data set without any
overlapped regions?

third question,

Is there anything similar to what I want to achieve in 3D Slicer 4.4.

I have my own visualizer that is written in C++, ITK, VTK, so it would be
great if I can use something from ITK. Can anyone point me out what features
of ITK do I need to consider to remove/delete overlapped images and save the
remaining images as a new data set? I am also confused about what images do
I need to remove Axial only? Images were scanned as Axial.

Thanks,