[ITK-users] Difference between displacement field transform and parametric transform

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Wed Oct 14 13:49:47 EDT 2015

Hi,

The displacement field transform is the most flexible transform, but
it has many more parameters than other parametric transforms, which
makes it more difficult to optimize.  It is recommended to first
optimize a simpler parametric transform, then use it in a
CompositeTransform to optimize a displacement field transform.  At a
minimum, rigid body alignment should be performed to ensure the
optimization of the displacement field starts at an initial position
that is sufficiently close to the solution.

HTH,
Matt