[ITK-users] Fwd: [ITK-dev] Streamed Read/Write Truncating Data

Maryana nexnaru at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 18:32:08 EDT 2015

Hi!

If anyone would like to repeat the test, this is my test file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7hpen46znk1h58l/brain_8bit.nii?dl=0
If I convert that file to MetaIO without streams, and
use ExtractImageFilter to read one file perpendicular to Y (as in the code
I'm sending bellow) it works fine. However if I convert it to MetaIO using
streams and use the same code to read the same slice, I end up with a
truncated image. I have the same result when I use Paraview for
visualization. By the way, for what I've read from ITK documentation NIfti
supposedly supports streamed reading. So I'm guessing that using Nifti in
this case would be ok. Is this correct?  Would anyone have an idea on
what's wrong?

Thank you!

Code for reading slice:

#include "itkImageFileReader.h"
#include "itkImageFileWriter.h"
#include "itkExtractImageFilter.h"
#include "itkImage.h"

int main( int argc, char ** argv )
{

  typedef unsigned char        InputPixelType;
  typedef unsigned char        OutputPixelType;

  typedef itk::Image< InputPixelType,  3 >    InputImageType;
  typedef itk::Image< OutputPixelType, 2 >    OutputImageType;

  typedef itk::ImageFileReader< InputImageType  >  ReaderType;
  typedef itk::ImageFileWriter< OutputImageType >  WriterType;

  std::string fileIn = "mri2_stream.mha";
  std::string fileOut = "slice.tif";
  const char * inputFilename  = fileIn.c_str();
  const char * outputFilename = fileOut.c_str();

  WriterType::Pointer writer = WriterType::New();

  reader->SetFileName( inputFilename  );
  writer->SetFileName( outputFilename );

  typedef itk::ExtractImageFilter< InputImageType, OutputImageType >
FilterType;
  FilterType::Pointer filter = FilterType::New();
  filter->InPlaceOn();
  filter->SetDirectionCollapseToSubmatrix();

  reader->UpdateOutputInformation();
  InputImageType::RegionType inputRegion =
reader->GetOutput()->GetLargestPossibleRegion();

  InputImageType::SizeType size = inputRegion.GetSize();

  std::cout << "Size: " << std::endl;
  std::cout << size[0] << std::endl;
  std::cout << size[1] << std::endl;
  std::cout << size[2] << std::endl;

  InputImageType::IndexType start = inputRegion.GetIndex();
  const unsigned int sliceNumber = 800;

  std::cout << "Start: " << std::endl;
  std::cout << start[0] << std::endl;
  std::cout << start[1] << std::endl;
  std::cout << start[2] << std::endl;

  size[1] = 0;
  start[1] = sliceNumber;

  InputImageType::RegionType desiredRegion;
  desiredRegion.SetSize(  size  );
  desiredRegion.SetIndex( start );

  filter->SetExtractionRegion( desiredRegion );

  filter->SetInput( reader->GetOutput() );
  writer->SetInput( filter->GetOutput() );

  try
    {
    writer->Update();
    }
  catch( itk::ExceptionObject & err )
    {
    std::cerr << "ExceptionObject caught !" << std::endl;
    std::cerr << err << std::endl;
    return EXIT_FAILURE;
    }

  return EXIT_SUCCESS;