[ITK-users] Picking corresponding anatomical points -- best software for a clinician?

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Sun Dec 4 13:43:37 EST 2016

Hi,

I have an urgent need to acquire some data to validate (medical) image
registration in a clinical context.  To that end, I plan to sit with several
clinicians and have them identify salient points in two datasets that will be
registered.  Then I plan to use the residual errors of these points after
registration -- e.g. the median distance -- as a quality metric.

What I'm after right now is a really easy-to-use tool with which the clinician
can pick the points.  So that one can judge the points are indeed
corresponding: my present thought is to have an MPR view of each image volume
side-by-side; e.g. axial/sagittal/coronal of volume 1 on top of the same
slices of volume 2.  Or similar.  My main requirement is that a clinician who
is familar with PACS viewers can learn to use it in a minute or so.

The other requirement is that the point coordinates can be saved to a file for
later analysis.  Despite posting to the ITK list: ITK is not a requirement.

My question, briefly, is: what software would you recommend for this scenario?

I have briefly looked at 3D Slicer, MITK, Amide, and RegistrationShop.  So far,
3D Slicer is the only one that I can even find the functionality I want --
using the LandmarkRegistration module.   I realize this next part may come
across as whining so let me say up front I mean no denigration of the many fine
folks who put hard work into 3D Slicer!  If I were the one picking the points,
I think the Landmark Registration of 3D Slicer would be fine.  However, the
clinician will be driving and will typically have limited time and patience --
so I want something reasonably familiar.   For example: in navigating through
the stacks: I can use the scrool wheel or slider to choose a slice.  But then
I have to manipulate all three slices to find a point.  In other software, one
can grab the slice intersection lines and update the other two slices -- e.g.
move the coronal and sagittal to intersect a point of interest located on the
axial.    I can turn on slice intersection lines, but it shows intersections
for BOTH volumes, which I don't want as they are not registered.  And when I
use SHIFT to drag around the lines, both volumes are updated.  I need to do
one volume at a time.

Maybe there is a way to tune the Slicer GUI to my needs?  Or maybe a more
appropriate module I have overlooked?

For any thoughts: thanks in advance,
-Steve