[ITK-users] [ITK] Read a frame from a 3D image

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Tue Feb 2 09:30:10 EST 2016

Gib,

Currently the TIFFIO does not support streamed reading. Being able to just read a page is a straight forward first step. In fact when I refactored it I made sure it was clear how this could be done in the future [1].

The correct way to do it would be to upgrade TIFFImageIO with this feature. This would involve changing the parent class to StreamingImageIOBase, then overloading methods to disable streamed writing, and overloading the method ( GenerateStreamableReadRegionFromRequestedRegion ) to enable stream read such that the RequestedRegion is expanded to the whole slice, and verifying all the TIFF fields are valid for this operations.

The tricky part would be to adapt existing tests, and test the new functionality.

After that, the streaming would happen seamlessly with the ITK pipeline, giving there are stream compatible filters and all the features are configured correctly.

Alternatively, there are utilities to split the pages of the TIFF in to separate files.

HTH,
Brad