[ITK-users] Lost Patient, Study and Series DICOM tags

Dženan Zukić dzenanz at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 09:45:16 EDT 2016

Hi Piotr,

if you want to carry over metadata from input image to output image, you
should save the metadata dictionary in a way similar to this:

itk::MetaDataDictionary metadata;

template< typename TImage >
itk::SmartPointer<TImage> readImage(std::string fileName)
{
    typedef itk::ImageFileReader<TImage> ReaderType;
    typename ReaderType::Pointer reader = ReaderType::New();
    reader->SetFileName(fileName.c_str());
    try
    {
        reader->Update();
        metadata = reader->GetMetaDataDictionary();
        return reader->GetOutput();
    }
    catch (itk::ExceptionObject & error)
    {
        std::cerr << "Error: " << error << std::endl;
        return NULL;
    }
}

template< typename TImage >
void writeImage(itk::SmartPointer<TImage> image, std::string fileName)
{
    image->SetMetaDataDictionary(metadata); //full metadata
    typedef itk::ImageFileWriter<TImage> WriterType;
    typename WriterType::Pointer writer = WriterType::New();
    writer->SetFileName(fileName.c_str());
    writer->SetInput(image);
    try
    {