[ITK-users] R-SimpleITK memory management

Yaniv, Ziv Rafael (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] zivrafael.yaniv at nih.gov
Wed Jul 6 11:23:37 EDT 2016

Hi Mathew,

Can you provide a concise example so that we can recreate the problem? I
tried the trivial thing with the code we were previously discussing, just
repeatedly running it in a loop and the memory useage is as expected,
doesn¹t change after initial run, code below:

library(SimpleITK)
library(pryr)

for(i in 1:100)
{
  print(mem_used())
  image <- ReadImage("training_001_ct.mha")
  segmented_image <- image>700
  segmented_label <- 1
  lisf <- LabelIntensityStatisticsImageFilter()
  invisible(lisf$Execute(segmented_image, image))
  print(mem_used())
}

When I ran this in R studio the memory usage was higher, but still
consistent. Apparently R studio also keeps a reference to every object
created on the command line (Hadly Wickham¹s book on Advanced R, memory
management http://adv-r.had.co.nz/memory.html).

    Ziv