[ITK-users] [ITK] streaming TileImageFilter for arbitrary number of inputs

Lowekamp, Bradley (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Thu Jul 21 09:41:20 EDT 2016

Hello,

The TileImageFilter does not fully stream [1]. The filter also has some odd behavior, and other older implementation details. If you are going to work on a streaming pipelines it is best practice to examine the filters to determine how the Requested regions behave.

However, there is no reason that the TileImageFilter algorithm couldn’t support streaming. It is just a matter of code and a bunch of testing. A contribution for this issue would be welcomed! Also this filter is in need a refactoring and bring it up to several other best practices. There are several issue with the current implementation that would cause it not to work correctly with a streaming pipeline, and cause excessive execution.

You can also use the PipelieMoniotorImageFilter to record and print the pipeline interaction during Update [2]. This information helps with debugging and diagnosing problems, but if the pipeline is mis-behaving ( as the TileImageFilter may ), the information may not be correct.

I have tried similar streaming with the JoinSeriesImageFilter. However I ran into many problems with having hundreds of ImageIO being utilized at the same time. There were problems with having too many files open at the same time along with ImageIO libraries that couldn’t handle single threaded access to multiple files.

[1] https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITK/blob/master/Modules/Filtering/ImageGrid/include/itkTileImageFilter.hxx#L125-L136
[2] https://itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1PipelineMonitorImageFilter.html