[ITK-users] Estimation of initial rotation for Euler3DTransform

Sharmin Sultana ssult003 at odu.edu
Fri Jun 3 18:01:31 EDT 2016

Dear all,

I am trying to register two pointsets where each pointset represents a
curve. I have tried using the IterativeClosestPointRegistration2.cxx
example. But the problem with the results here is that while the
translation seems to be OK, the rotation is not when I do not set an
initial rotation.

According to the user guide, the Euler3DTranform cannot handle for large
rotations, and the user has to provide an initial rotation that is correct
to within 10 or 20 degrees. When I have provided the initial rotations, and
the resulting registered curve seems to be correct. I got the initial
rotations by manually rotating and translating the moving pointset in
Paraview against the fixed pointset using the Transform filter.

Is there a way to automatically estimate the initial rotation required?
Below are the pointsets that I was using.

Fixed PointSet
70.3771 16.9556 -77.8874
69.2143 17.2079 -77.253
68.1514 17.8068 -76.7957