[ITK-users] ShapeLabelMap Roundness/Perimeter Calculation Issue

ebasafa ehsan.basafa at gmail.com
Fri May 13 11:26:07 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

Recently I noticed that BinaryImageToShapeLabelMapFilter does not calculate
roundness of objects correctly, and I traced it back to perimeter
calculation. More curiously, the results I get from the GetRoundness() and
GetPerimeter() methods differ between debug and release builds! And to make
it even more confusing, it's a machine-dependent problem, i.e. on some
machines debug and release give the same (correct?) numbers and on some
machines they don't. I suspect that release results are erroneous, since
some roundness numbers turn out to be >1.0 in release but are always <1.0 in
debug mode. I am working in a Windows 8.1 64-bit environment and am using
the latest release of ITK (4.9.1) on all different machines.

I have tried several searches to see if this is a resolved issue, but the
latest post I found was from 2011 (link below) and has been unanswered.

http://itk-users.7.n7.nabble.com/Perimeter-Calculation-via-LabelImageToShapeLabelMapFilter-td14917.html

Seems like there was a bug report filed that time
(https://itk.org/Bug/view.php?id=11934) whose status still says "assigned".
I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Ehsan