[ITK-users] Open surface mesh construction from feature map

Wei Liu weiliu620 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 17:25:38 EDT 2016

Hi ITK users,

I'm trying to detect (possibly multiple) open surface in a 3D volume.
Suppose I have a filter that give me a 3D feature map (e.g. the probability
of each voxel being on the surface), where should I go from this feature
map to construct smooth open surfaces?

I did some search. It seems most of existing examples construct isosurface
mesh from a binary volume (or distance map from it). The binary volume
usually has a closed surface on the object boundary, so it is different
from my problem of open surface.

I can probably calculate the normal of the surface at each voxel, if that
helps.

I guess I should do some skeleton extraction and get a 'thin' set of voxels
on the surface, and use some filters in ITK or VTK(new to VTK but willing
to learn if necessary) to convert binary volumes to surface meshes, and do
some smoothing, filling holes etc.

Thanks!