[ITK-users] ITK Python: numpy to itk image (and viceversa)

Dženan Zukić dzenanz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 10:48:40 EDT 2017

Hi Fabio,

the first error is coming from ITKCommonCastXML project, and the other
first 1000 errors are also coming from*CastXML and *Swig projects. This
means that the wrapping infrastructure is somehow triggering that bug in
VS2017.

The easiest thing to try is update CastXML, which Matt said would take care
of. Let's see if that helps.

Regards,
Dženan Zukić, PhD, Senior R&D Engineer, Kitware (Carrboro, N.C.)

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 4:50 PM, Dženan Zukić <dzenanz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Fabio,
>
> it looks like we will have to wait somewhat until VS writers get around to
> implement __builtin_offsetof
> <https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/22196/static-assert-cannot-compile-constexprs-method-tha.html>
>
> I don't know why it doesn't trigger when Python wrapping is OFF. I will
> look into it more.
>
> Regards,
> Dženan Zukić, PhD, Senior R&D Engineer, Kitware (Carrboro, N.C.)
>
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 4:26 PM, Francois Budin <
> francois.budin at kitware.com> wrote:
>
>> Fabio,
>>
>> To add a little bit of extra information about using BridgeNumpy:
>>
>> From NumPy to ITK, the memory is never copied, and always shared between
>> the NumPy array and the ITK image.
>> From ITK to NumPy, the memory is not copied at first, if the data is not
>> changed from the NumPy side (e.g. if the ITK image is changed, the NumPy
>> array will be modified too), but if you modify the NumPy array directly,
>> NumPy will create a copy of the data. This also means that if you were to
>> modify the NumPy array, the modifications would not be visible in the ITK
>> image.
>>
>> A limited workaround to this is:
>>
>> # Get NumPy array from image
>> arr_image = itk.GetArrayFromImage(image)
>> # Create copy of array that can be modified in-place
>> arr = arr_image.copy()
>> # Modify array
>> arr_image.setfield(arr,arr_image.dtype)
>>
>> The advantage of this method is that the image will be updated. However,
>> there is an explicit copy of your data.
>> If the copy step is skipped and the original NumPy array is modified, a
>> copy of the data will be performed by NumPy and you may not be aware of it
>> until you see that the data in the NumPy array and the image do not match
>> anymore.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Francois
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 4:02 PM, D'Isidoro Fabio <fisidoro at ethz.ch>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, thanks. Moe specifically I am using now *Visual Studio 2017 Preview*
>>> .
>>>

>>> Fabio.

>>> 12>        static constexpr size_t _Memcpy_move_offset =
>>> offsetof(_Mydata_t, _Bx);
>>> 12>                                ^
>>> 12>C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/Preview/Community/VC/To
>>> ols/MSVC/14.10.25017/include\stdexcept:23:21: note: in instantiation of
>>> template class 'std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
>>> std::allocator<char> >' requested here
>>> 12>                : _Mybase(_Message.c_str())