[ITK-users] Question about LandmarkDisplacementFieldSource

Siming Bayer siming.bayer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 15:53:54 EDT 2017

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the information.

Since I would like to perform non-rigid image registration, I would like to first compute a displacement field using 2 point set and then deform the image with the displacement field. So LandmarkBasedTransformInitializer is not suitable in my case.

Basically, I extract two point sets from images of vessels (one before non-rigid deformation, one after deformation). Those two point sets are then aligned by using TPS-RPM Algorithm by Chui. For my understanding, the output displacement field from LandmarkDisplacementFieldSource should be the perfect deformation field, with which I can warp the input vessel image with WarpImageFilter. According to the documentation and the code of LandmarkDisplacementFieldSource, it also use Kernel Based Spline (TPS as default) to compute the deformation field from two point sets. But now, the resulting displacement field is quite strange, although the point matching algorithm works fine. I simple have no idea why my implementation produce wrong output displacement field.

So I think, I need to deepen into the details of the KernelTransform implementation.

best,
Siming